Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh boy. Here we go.

Last night my level was played on a popular server at peak playing time. Myself and 16 other players had a chance to play the map for the first time. Overall I was fairly happy playing it. The major error that had plagued the last version had been fixed and I got some really good feedback, testing data, and a (mostly) problem free play through. That being said, I realized some of the glaring flaws that existed in the level.

Changes

So here I am, with my original goal of some "minor" tweaks to stage 1 and 2 and the complete addition of stage 3. Something more than minor tweaks was needed for the first two stages. In-fact, what I need to do probably constitutes reconstructive surgery, at least in terms of 3d design. I will get into the specifics of the changes and why I made them in a future post, but for now I will leave you with this.

The problems

Stage 1 actually played really well and was alot of fun. That being said it isn't without flaws. The entire base design was found to be confusing and difficult to navigate. I will need to transform the base area to make alot more sense and to flow the combat a little better.

Stage 2. This was the problem stage. The entire map was way to large. It took way to long to get from your spawn, to the middle of the map, and into the enemy base. The cart path was also considered to be to long. This stage has seen the majority of my time revamping and reconstructing the area. It is my hope that this change will be a step in the right direction, otherwise I might have to come up with an entirely new idea for this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment